There are five different categories of employment based USA visas. The worldwide limit on employment based visas is 140,000, plus any unused family-sponsored preference visas from the previous year. These visas allow their beneficiaries to live and work in the USA on a permanent basis:
- Persons of extraordinary ability, i.e. outstanding professors and researchers and certain executives and managers of multinational organizations;
- Members of a profession with advanced degrees and those with exceptional ability whose employment in the USA would be in the national interest of the country;
- Skilled workers and professionals;
- Individuals investing $1 Million in a new or existing business which employs 10 or more persons;
- Other (extremely limited).
A labor certification and/or other documents are required for those seeking entry as skilled workers and professionals.