Immigration lawyers Victoria BC, Velletta & Company

Immigration Glossary


Work Permit:

A work permit is a government issued document that allows foreign nationals to work in Canada. There are some jobs in Canada that do not require work permits. Click here to view a list of these jobs.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) was developed in 1994. It is a federal government body responsible for dealing with citizenship and immigration issues in Canada.

Entrepreneur Program:

The Entrepreneur Program was created to attract experienced business persons who own and actively manage businesses in Canada that will contribute to Canada’s economy and create jobs.

Federal Immigrant Investor Program:

The Immigrant Investor Program is a process designed for experienced business people to invest into Canada’s economy and ultimately become permanent residents.

Self-Employed Persons Program:

The Self-Employed Persons Program was created to for applicants who wish to immigrate to Canada and who have the intention and ability to become self-employed in Canada.

Temporary Resident Visa:

Depending on your citizenship, you may require a temporary resident visa (TRV) to travel to Canada. A TRV is a government issued document that allows foreign nationals to visit Canada. A TRV does not permit you to work or study in Canada. In order to work or study in Canada you must obtain a Work Permit or Study Permit, respectively. (link to work permit and study permit above).

Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC):

Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC), formerly Human Resources and Social Development Canada, is a department of the Government of Canada which is responsible for developing, managing and delivering a variety of social programs and services. In immigration, this includes filling labour shortages by hiring foreign workers.

Labour Market Opinion (LMO):

Labour Market Opinions (LMOs), which are issued by HRSDC (link to HRSDC above), must be obtained by employers seeking to hire foreign nationals. LMOs show that there is a need for the foreign worker to fill the job you offer and that there is no Canadian worker available to do the job.


Canadian citizens or a permanent residents of Canada can sponsor their spouses, common-law partners, conjugal partners, dependent children (including adopted children) or other eligible relatives (such as a parents or grandparents) to become a permanent residents.

Skilled Worker:

Skilled Workers, for the purposes of Canada immigration, are people who they have the education, work experience, language skills, etc. to help them become economically established in Canada.

Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada:

The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada is an independent administrative tribunal responsible for making decisions on immigration and refugee matters in accordance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

Immigration and Refugee Protection Act:

An Act respecting immigration to Canada and the granting of refugee protection to persons who are displaced, persecuted or in danger.

Post Graduate Work Permit Program (PGWPP):

The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain Canadian work experience.

Study Permit:

A study permit is a government issued document that allows foreign nationals to study in Canada.

Canadian Experience Class:

Depending on your type of work experience, temporary foreign workers or foreign students who graduated in Canada often have obtained the qualities it takes to help them successfully transition from temporary residents to permanent residents. The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is a program designed to provide these individuals with the opportunity to gain permanent residency through these qualities.

Provincial Nominee Program:

The Provincial Nominee Program was created for people to immigrate to Canada who have skills, education and work experience that will make them an immediate contribution to Canada’s economy. Each province has its own regulations within this program. Until the individual is ready to establish themselves successfully as a permanent resident they are sponsored by their province of residence as Provincial Nominees.

Immigration Links

NOTE: A listing here does not constitute an endorsement by this law firm. We provide these links only as a convenience. Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Read More »

Temporary Work and Study Visas

Business Persons and Tourists Crew of Foreign Vessels Investors and Traders Students Professionals International Media Exchange Visitors Fiancé of a U.S. Citizen Intra-Corporate Transfers Entertainers

Read More »