Sankar was born and raised in Vancouver, BC but now calls Victoria home. Sankar earned his Juris Doctor from the University of Victoria and completed his Articles with Velletta Pedersen Christie.
Sankar has founded and developed businesses in the e-commerce space since he was 16 years old. Just prior to law school, Sankar founded and continues to operate a unique start-up company offering niche products with sales over 20,000 units and counting. In his third year of law school, a special effects product that Sankar conceptualized and developed during his second year was featured in 11 different publications. He now has over 14 years of experience in business structuring, product manufacturing, supply chain management, asset purchasing, graphic design, as well as marketing, licensing and wholesaling. He draws from these experiences when providing legal advice, drafting contracts, and negotiating terms for his clients.
Some of Sankar’s representative work includes:
- advising businesses on sales and acquisitions ranging from $50,000 to over $1.5M;
- drafting strategic distribution agreements for e-commerce companies, suppliers, and manufacturers;
- advising start ups with founders' agreements, shareholders' agreements, and employee stock option plans;
- assisting musicians, producers, publishers, and record-labels with licensing and intellectual property matters;
- reviewing and negotiating commercial leases; and
- forming advanced corporate structures to minimize liability.
Sankar is a successful entrepreneur and sharpened his business acumen through the University of Victoria’s Business Law Clinic where he helped local entrepreneurs deal with intellectual property matters. He now acts as a mentor for the UVic Coast Capital Innovation Centre assisting early stage start ups and for the UVic Gustavson School of Business mentoring business students. He has also worked with numerous not-for profit organizations assisting vulnerable members of society through Access Pro-Bono, Pro-bono Students of Canada, Reconciliation Canada, and the YMCA Plus-One Mentorship program. In his free time, Sankar enjoys cycling, building his e-commerce business, travelling, and learning about trends in finance and technology.