Michael Jakeman - Lawyer
Michael S. Jakeman, heads up the family law department at Velletta and Company.
Michael has an undergraduate degree, a bachelor of science, from the University of Alberta and a professional degree in law, a juris doctor, from the University of Victoria. Michael serves individuals like you and has been protecting individuals rights since his call to both the bar association of British Columbia and Alberta in 2006. Michael believes clients are central to our profession and has served the legal profession in this pursuit through consulting work with both the Canadian Bar Association of British Columbia and the Faculty of Law at the University of Victoria.
Michael’s preferred area of practice is family and as either a lawyer or a mediator he can assist you to:
- Understand your rights and how to protect them
- Draft family agreements: cohabitation, pre-nuptial/marriage, and separation
- Obtain a divorce
- Challenge past agreements
- Preserve assets for high net worth families
- Obtain fair child care arrangements – parenting time, custody, guardianship, child protection matters, children with disabilities, and grandparent rights
- Obtain child support, maintenance, applications for support, enforcement, arrears cancellation or variation
- Obtain spousal support, alimony, interim support, calculation, range determination, and tax considerations
- Understand and protect your financial position through your divorce or separation, including benefits, pension and pension division, complex asset division, tax considerations or concerns and family business conflicts and/or succession
- Resolve Aboriginal family and community disputes, on and off reserve property considerations and rights
Michael’s career has focused on problem solving for individuals. He brings a diligent and strategic approach to quickly identify concerns for his clients and implements clear communication, negotiation, rights preservation and court based solutions without delay. Michael has extensive trial experience at both Provincial and Supreme Court.
Dispute resolution is often the quickest and most cost effective route for clients. When appropriate, Michael works for clients at lawyer assisted mediations and collaborative processes prior to or at the exclusion of court proceedings.