Immigration for Families

An application for permanent residence under the Family Class allows a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident to sponsor certain eligible family members for permanent residence to Canada.


Canadian citizens or permanent residents residing in Canada can sponsor their spouse or common-law partner for permanent residence to Canada. We can assist you in determining your eligibility for a spousal sponsorship application, and help you navigate your way through the all the steps in the application process. A well-prepared spousal sponsorship application will avoid unnecessary expense and delays. The IRCC will return incomplete applications, which often means you must start the process all over again. If an application does not fully address all the requirements of the spousal sponsorship application with supporting documents at the outset, the IRCC may make requests for additional documents, or send a Procedural Fairness leading to unnecessary delays in the application process. Many people prepare their own successful spousal sponsorship applications, but professional assistance can still save you time, and will give you a resource to rely on throughout the application process.

Sponsor parents or grandparents for permanent residence

The Parents and Grandparents Program (PGP) was not open to new applications in 2021. Instead, the Canadian government issued invitations to apply to those who submitted an expression of interest form for the PGP in 2020. The IRCC has not announced what the PGP will look like in 2022. In recent years, the IRCC has used both a first-come, first-served selection process, and a lottery system. The PGP is always in high demand, and we can make sure you will be prepared for when the PGP reopens in 2022.

I look forward to helping you
Sarah Reid

My practice is focused on immigration and citizenship law. I have experience in a wide range of immigration matters, with numerous successful outcomes for my clients. I look forward to helping you with your Canadian immigration and citizenship questions.

Request a consultation