Partnership Agreements: Who Needs One?

Partnership and business law, Victoria BC , Velletta & Company

If you have a partnership, you need a Partnership Agreement. Successful entrepreneurs agree that good planning is a fundamental ingredient of any business venture. With partners you need a means by which to clarify the parameters of your relationship, and resolve disputes that will likely occur. Every partnership, from time to time, will involve disagreements, misunderstandings and, perhaps, outright warfare. A properly prepared Partnership Agreement will reduce or eliminate the risk of these difficulties threatening an otherwise efficient business relationship.

The best time to work out compromise and achieve a Partnership Agreement is when harmony and goodwill are in abundance, not after difficulties have arisen. Then, it may be too late.

A good Partnership Agreement clearly establishes the fundamental rules under which the partnership operates. Your Partnership Agreement should settle the following issues:

Read morePartnership Agreements: Who Needs One?

Why you should hire a lawyer when you are injured in a motor vehicle accident

We often have people ask us why so many people hire a lawyer to represent them when they are injured in a motor vehicle accident. There are several reasons for this. The first reason is that after an accident people that have been injured have enough to focus on with medical treatment, therapies, appointments, and healing their bodies. Also having to deal with ICBC on top of this can be overwhelming. Lawyers provide a shield between you and ICBC so that you can focus on healing rather than fighting your case.

Read moreWhy you should hire a lawyer when you are injured in a motor vehicle accident

Medical Malpractice In Canada – Why You Need Legal Advice

In Canada we rely on doctors and nurses, hospitals, and other health care providers including dentists, chiropractors, and the like to provide excellent medical treatment when we are sick or injured. When unintended consequences arise, they are often catastrophic. Nothing can be worse than a baby damaged through medical error, or leaving a hospital sicker than when you went in. If you or a loved one has suffered as a result of medical treatment gone wrong you may be entitled to compensation. To find out, it is essential that you speak to a lawyer about your claim.

Read moreMedical Malpractice In Canada – Why You Need Legal Advice

What Can You Expect in a Lawsuit?

Velletta & Company, litigation lawyers

The timing of a lawsuit is difficult to predict. It depends on many things, including actions the Defendant takes, court schedules, and decisions the Plaintiff makes. In a personal injury lawsuit, the length of time recovery or medical treatment takes will change the length of time that a lawsuit takes. A lawsuit can take up to two years or longer to settle or go to trial.

Read moreWhat Can You Expect in a Lawsuit?

Traveling Abroad With Your Children

Legal advice from Velletta & Company

People frequently ask whether there are different rules for divorced or separated parents when it comes to taking their children out of the country. Generally the answer is no. Unless a court order specifically says you cannot take the child from the country, the rules are the same. In a nutshell, whenever you as a parent take a child into or out of Canada, you must always be prepared to show proof that you have the other parent’s permission, or that such permission is not necessary.

Read moreTraveling Abroad With Your Children

Have You Lost Your Permanent Resident Status?

People who immigrate to Canada and become Permanent Residents are required to meet residency requirements and must comply with conditions imposed under the regulations or risk losing their permanent resident status.

The rules regarding retention and loss of permanent residence status can be complex. We encourage you to contact Velletta & Company if you have concerns regarding your permanent resident status in Canada.

At Velletta & Company we provide you with the professional, cost effective advice you need to decide what options are best for you.

To arrange a consultation, please contact us.

Termination of Employment and The Duty to Mitigate

Employment lawyers Victoria BC

If an employee in British Columbia is not unionized, his or her employer can terminate that employee for reasons that range from legally justifiable to vaguely outrageous. A critical determination is whether the reasons for termination are “just cause” for dismissal. If a dismissal is for just cause, the employee is not entitled to notice or severance; if a dismissal is “without cause”, the employer has an obligation to provide reasonable notice or severance to the employee.

Read moreTermination of Employment and The Duty to Mitigate

Immigration Glossary

Immigration lawyers Victoria BC, Velletta & Company


Work Permit:

A work permit is a government issued document that allows foreign nationals to work in Canada. There are some jobs in Canada that do not require work permits. Click here to view a list of these jobs.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) was developed in 1994. It is a federal government body responsible for dealing with citizenship and immigration issues in Canada.

Entrepreneur Program:

The Entrepreneur Program was created to attract experienced business persons who own and actively manage businesses in Canada that will contribute to Canada’s economy and create jobs.

Federal Immigrant Investor Program:

The Immigrant Investor Program is a process designed for experienced business people to invest into Canada’s economy and ultimately become permanent residents.

Self-Employed Persons Program:

The Self-Employed Persons Program was created to for applicants who wish to immigrate to Canada and who have the intention and ability to become self-employed in Canada.

Temporary Resident Visa:

Depending on your citizenship, you may require a temporary resident visa (TRV) to travel to Canada. A TRV is a government issued document that allows foreign nationals to visit Canada. A TRV does not permit you to work or study in Canada. In order to work or study in Canada you must obtain a Work Permit or Study Permit, respectively. (link to work permit and study permit above).

Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC):

Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC), formerly Human Resources and Social Development Canada, is a department of the Government of Canada which is responsible for developing, managing and delivering a variety of social programs and services. In immigration, this includes filling labour shortages by hiring foreign workers.

Labour Market Opinion (LMO):

Labour Market Opinions (LMOs), which are issued by HRSDC (link to HRSDC above), must be obtained by employers seeking to hire foreign nationals. LMOs show that there is a need for the foreign worker to fill the job you offer and that there is no Canadian worker available to do the job.


Canadian citizens or a permanent residents of Canada can sponsor their spouses, common-law partners, conjugal partners, dependent children (including adopted children) or other eligible relatives (such as a parents or grandparents) to become a permanent residents.

Skilled Worker:

Skilled Workers, for the purposes of Canada immigration, are people who they have the education, work experience, language skills, etc. to help them become economically established in Canada.

Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada:

The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada is an independent administrative tribunal responsible for making decisions on immigration and refugee matters in accordance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

Immigration and Refugee Protection Act:

An Act respecting immigration to Canada and the granting of refugee protection to persons who are displaced, persecuted or in danger.

Post Graduate Work Permit Program (PGWPP):

The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain Canadian work experience.

Study Permit:

A study permit is a government issued document that allows foreign nationals to study in Canada.

Canadian Experience Class:

Depending on your type of work experience, temporary foreign workers or foreign students who graduated in Canada often have obtained the qualities it takes to help them successfully transition from temporary residents to permanent residents. The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is a program designed to provide these individuals with the opportunity to gain permanent residency through these qualities.

Provincial Nominee Program:

The Provincial Nominee Program was created for people to immigrate to Canada who have skills, education and work experience that will make them an immediate contribution to Canada’s economy. Each province has its own regulations within this program. Until the individual is ready to establish themselves successfully as a permanent resident they are sponsored by their province of residence as Provincial Nominees.

Wrongful Dismissal

Employment law Victoria BC

This outline is selective and topical, for discussion purposes only. It is not legal advice. Do not apply any of the information set out in this outline prior to discussing it with your lawyer. Velletta & Company represents both employers and employees. This article contains information to assist you with understanding your rights.

Read moreWrongful Dismissal